Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Brownies

I promised a brownie recipe and here it is... I have tried quite a few brownie recipes over the years and this is now my firm favourite. It is the type of brownie you would be proud to serve in a cafe and it tastes dense, rich and chocolatey like brownie should. It is a Bill Granger recipe (so probably is served in a cafe) via my great friend Jenny, she has made a few changes to the original recipe that I have incorporated. It is a quick mix recipe that you can have in the oven in under ten minutes. I use half rich dark dutch cocoa from Essential Ingredient (great stuff if you have never tried it) which helps make it really chocolatey. I once threw in fresh raspberries and it was delicious.

Chocolate Brownies

1 ½ C caster sugar
2/3 C cocoa
3/4 C plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, beaten
200g unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla essence
150-200g dark chocolate pieces (chopped cooking or eating chocolate or choc chip bits)

Preheat oven to 160C (150C in fan-forced). Grease and line a 22cm square tin (or similar).


Stir sugar, cocoa, flour & baking powder together in a bowl. Add eggs, melted butter and vanilla; mix until well combined. Mix in about ¾ of the chocolate.

Pour into a lined 22cm square tin and sprinkle the remainder of chocolate over the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. OMG these look exactly like the brownies of my dreams, dense and chocolately, will try them next week when I have some peeps coming for dinner, I daren't make them before or will end up eating them all ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, those brownies look so fudgy. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your treat up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look amazingly decadent! I will try these at my next family gathering....if I try them before....My waistline will expand in great length...I don't think I would be able to have just one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, it is very exciting to have comments! I hope you report back when you have made them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking these up to Sweets for a Saturday. I hope you'll be able to join in the fun again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made it !!!!!!!!!! I posted it !!!!!!!!!!!!! it is the brownie of my dreams, you rock :)

    ReplyDelete